Fitting solar panels when you renovate your roof
Renovating your roof provides the ideal opportunity for installing solar panels. The costs of the work will be lower and the value of the building will increase, as it becomes able to produce its own energy thanks to its photovoltaic roof.
Creating a solar installation with photovoltaic panels allows you to benefit financially from the assistance available for roof renovation.
Creating a photovoltaic roof as part of your renovations
A poorly- or under-insulated roof is responsible for almost a third of a building's thermal losses. This leads to over-consumption of heating in winter and of air conditioning in summer. This wasted energy weighs has an adverse effect on both budgets and the environment. A roof renovation does cost a significant amount of money, but this can be reduced by the many types of financial assistance available. It is therefore a perfect opportunity to invest in photovoltaics and install solar panels that will help to reduce energy expenditure and greenhouse gas emissions.
Renovating your roof and installing solar panels at the same time means you can combine the costs of the work and take advantage of the financial assistance available for thermal renovation. It also saves time and a significant amount of energy since the two jobs are combined into one.
What help is available for renovating a roof without installing solar panels?
- Zero-rate loan: the PTZ is an eco-loan offered by the majority of banks. It allows work to progress without having to pay any interest. Once the loan is granted, the roof renovation work must be completed within three years.
- VAT reduced to 5.5%: all thermal insulation work benefits from a reduced VAT rate of 5.5%. A Cerfa certificate (available on the Internet) must be given to the tradesperson before the work begins.
- Local authorities: if you are in France, more information will be available from your region, department or municipality. Some authorities are committed to energy transition and offer financial support for the renovation of roofs and/or the fitting of an autonomous solar installation.
- Anah (Agence nationale de l'habitat assistance — French National Housing Agency): MaPrimeRénov'
The amount of MaPrimeRénov' for the renovation of a roof
Capped at 20,000 euro, this energy premium is available to all households but depends on income and the cost effectiveness of the work. Households are categorised as high-income, modest and very modest. The amount of assistance available is thus higher for low-income households. The greater the reduction in energy expenditure, the more benefits the subsidy provides.
Eligibility for Anah roof renovation assistance
Whether renovating a roof or creating a photovoltaic roof, the assistance available depends on various criteria:
- The choice of tradesperson: They must be RGE certified (Reconnu Garant de l'Environnement - recognised environmental guarantor).
- Household income: caps are subject to regular change. You should therefore check your eligibility with Anah before starting work so you can draw up a budget. If owners have already received a zero-rate loan, they must wait five years before they can apply.
- The cost of the work: the amount must be greater than 1500 euro excluding tax.
- The home: It must be over 15 years old and the owners must agree to use it as their main residence for a minimum of 3 years following completion of the work.
What type of solar installation should I choose as part of a roof renovation?
There are two ways to install solar panels as part of a roof renovation:
- Overlaid: each photovoltaic panel is attached to the roofing tiles. They remain visible.
- Integrated into the building: the solar panel replaces some of the roofing tiles. It merges with the roof.
To make the best choice, you need to consider the aesthetics of the roof and decide whether or not the occupants mind having visible solar panels. The cost of the work is also a factor. When overlaying, the installation of photovoltaic panels is less expensive because it is a simpler, quicker method.
Terreal offers tailor-made solutions for renovating roods and installing high-quality solar panels.
You might be interested in these articles
The Terreal solar offer for professionals
We are rolling out our Demain Tous Solaire programme to help solar energy progress even further. It includes a wide range of services to ensure that roofers and electricians fit our systems professionally, to help you sell the most suitable solutions and to ensure that your customers are satisfied. Becoming a partner in our programme gives you access to exclusive tools.
Everything you need to know about RE2020 regulations
The RE2020 regulations came into force at the beginning of 2022. They have been put in place to gradually replace RT2012 by setting more ambitious targets for reducing greenhouse gas emissions from new public and residential buildings, during their construction as well as their use. The RE2020 regulations also take adapting the building to climatic conditions into account.
The Terreal solar offer for individuals
For more than 10 years, Terreal and its subsidiary GSE Integration have been developing a complete range of innovative and patented solar roofing solutions for residential use. These solutions are compatible with any architectural decision or style of roof, as well as with all the roofing tiles and slates available on the market, in terms of waterproofing, integration and aesthetics.
What maintenance do solar panels need?
Maintaining your solar panels is easy, but they must be cleaned regularly and following certain rules, particularly with regard to safety. Economical and resistant, photovoltaic panels must be cleaned on average twice a year, following a few precautions to avoid damaging them.
Does the efficiency of solar panels offer an attractive proposal?
Solar panels can be used to produce renewable energy without any greenhouse gas emissions. Given that solar panels are a long-term investment, knowing how efficient they are is essential. The aim is to be able to bypass the power grid and produce your own electricity in a drive towards autonomy.
Solar panels in the north of France – a profitable investment
Let's put a stop to any misconceptions here and now – installing a solar panel in the north of France is profitable! Whether you live in Lille, Paris, Nantes or Strasbourg, there is a whole host of advantages to investing in solar energy. Solar panels work on levels of brightness rather than heat from the sun. Because of this, they offer a high yield even on the roofs of houses and buildings located in the north of France.